Sunday, October 30, 2011

Big win at Heinz Field today

I don't put anywhere near the effort and emphasis on the Steelers as I do the Penguins for many reasons. I just like the game of hockey better, and I like the players much better.  That said, I kind of grew up on the game of football, so I cannot skip the chance to  post something after a big win like the one at Heinz Field today.  I have said to anybody who has brought up the subject of the Steelers starting about two weeks ago, talk to me after the Cincinnati game. The three weeks of football starting today, I felt would clearly tell us yinzers what kind of team the Steelers really were.  I was struggling with what I thought about the Black and Gold.  I mean, I always root for the Steelers, but I was just not sure if they were a very good football team that was starting to find it's identity, or a team that had beaten some relatively soft competition, that was about to find out that it was a slightly above average team in a tough division and conference with a few too many teams just a little better.  I have not changed my opinion, that to be the real deal, the Steelers had to go 2-1 in this stretch at least to be considered a real contender, and I still think that is the case.  But, this was a VERY good start.  In all actuality, in my head, this was the game I thought that they would lose, and frankly the one that they could most afford to lose given the fact that they have two divisional foes in the next two games, one of whom has already beaten us, and soundly.   As I digest this game, and look at the dominance in time of possession (2 to 1), the overall yardage of the offense, and the way the Steelers got after Brady and company, I am not sure that this game is not even bigger than I had thought.  The Patriots had been 6-1 the last 7 times they had faced the Steelers with Brady at quarterback, and had pretty much owned us.  Not today, in fact the Patriots only mustered 17 points, 7 of those after starting at the Steelers 8 yard line.  The Patriots in fact, could only muster 213 yards in total offense today.  This is a big monkey off the backs of the Steelers, and has to be a confidence builder and motivational game for the future.  The Steelers played with swagger today, and it was fun to watch.  IF, they can pull off the win next week against Baltimore, they will be looking pretty good as far as the AFC playoff picture.   Winning the next two games would send the message to the rest of the AFC that the Steelers are the team to beat.  The Steelers recieving corps is off the charts, and I like the set up better with Brown, Sanders and Wallace taking the reps.  Speed kills.....and that is some real speed on the field for your black and gold!  The game plan was flawless as evidenced by the yardage, and dominance in time of possession.  It is tough to criticize ANYTHING when you handle a quality opponent like New England, but I have to point out two issues that concerned me a bit.   The Patriots were still in a position to win this game with about a minute left because the Steelers offense had to settle for field goals a little too often today.  One more touchdown, and this game is over early.  Second, Suisham just may cost the Steelers a big game.  Yes, he connected on 3 field goals today, but he again missed a 44 yard field goal that would have put the Patriots away.  He does that with some regularity, and I hope that it does not happen some time to cost the Steelers seeding or a playoff game.  Finally, let's hope that we get healthy, especially LaMarr Woodley, in time for the big game against the Baltimorons next week.  Go Steelers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment