Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pens win 3-1 over Habs

 
It was for me, indeed, a great day for hockey today.  It started when my friend and assistant at work, Nicole downloaded the Chris Kunitz video to YouTube for me.  It made my afternoon to see it again, and then to be able to add it to my blog.  Nicole, again, many thanks!  It was also great to see Cy Clark or the Malkamania guy at his first Pens game since he learned he was cancer free!  It had to be a most memorable evening for one of the most recognized of Penguins fans.  Cy, I could not be happier for you!!  Next up, I saw a great blogger from the Post Gazette Empty Netters blog, Seth Rohrabaugh, and he got a picture of my sweet game worn, signed Brian Strait jersey from this year's Black and Gold game.  Always great to see Seth, he who told the Fartsmell story that gave me a season of fan fame that was really fun.  Finally, Pens beat writer Rob Rossi whose columns in the Trib I read always, and whose blog, Chipped Ice, I thoroughly enjoy, became a follower on Twitter!  It may have been a sympathy move, or who knows, maybe Rob will become one of maybe 20 regular readers of this simple man's blog.  It could be the beginning of something!  Or it could just be that Rob got bored during a commercial break, who knows.  Anyway, the evening got even better as the Penguins dispatched the Habs, a team, and a set of visiting fans that I am slowly developing a larger dislike for.  The Real Deal tied Phil Kessel again for the league lead in goals, notching his 7th from Sullivan and Park.  I always liked Neal, but after meeting him and his father, I like him even more.  I love seeing him at the top of the league in goal scoring.  Let me back up a minute.....the fact that 44 is back on the ice was also a big factor in a great hockey day for yours truly.....but, I do have one question for my man Free Candy.  How can a man whose booming body checks and 1000 mile stare could make a man piss in his pants, look so much like a guy who likes balls more than pucks in the picture on the Jumbotron?  Sorry man, I love ya, but you have to get that shot retaken brother!  Okay, back to business.  Joe Vitale, who busts his ass up and down the ice deflected a shot from Deryk Engelland past Carey Price to give the Pens a 2-0 lead.  I love to see two lunch pail guys get on the board like that!  Another notch on the Great Day for Hockey belt.  Finally, my man Arron "Beagle Killer" Asham knocked one out of midair to celebrate his 700th game in the NHL!  Ironically, AA started his career in November of 1998 as a member of the Montreal Canadiens, against your Pittsburgh Penguins.  The goal was assisted by Engelland and Niskanen, giving my man Engo his second assist of the night.  Finally, as much as I hate the Habs, it was great to see the Penguins acknowledge Hal Gill for his 1,000th career game in the NHL and just as nice to see the crowd acknowledge the same.  The  Penguins #1 ranked penalty kill unit killed off all 4 penalties tonight, going 30 for 31 on the season, and the Penguins looked solid in all three zones until very late in the game.  Finally, Fleury played a great game, and it was a shame to see 29 miss out on getting his 20th career shutout. He robbed several Canadiens of goals tonight!  On a less positive note, the power play was not effective tonight,  but it did not matter. The Penguins improved to 5-2-2, with two complete victories in a row, while playing in their 9th game in 15 days.  Not bad, not bad at all.  Also of note is the fact that the Penguins have now played 40 of their past 44 games missing BOTH Geno and Sid, and they are now 22-13-5 during that span.  How good could this team have been during that span?  Any,  looking forward to Saturday night's tilt against the New Jersey Devils, and seeing former Penguins winger Petr Sykora!

No comments:

Post a Comment